The Ethiopian New Year was on September 12th this year. It is now 2004!! Ethiopia observes the Ge'ez calendar which places the date of the Annunciation of the Lord seven to eight years behind our Gregorian calendar.
On New Year's Day, Matt, Annie, and I went over to St. Paul to celebrate at Ras Restaurant (we actually went to Fasika first, but they were closed). We had a delicious lunch of kik alicha and tibs with injera. We were the only ones in the restaurant that day - I guess most people were home celebrating - so Annie was able to dance around like she owned the place. They had toys out for her and she had a great time.
Last Saturday, I volunteered to have the Chippewa Valley Adoptive Families group over to our home for a New Year celebration. We had so much fun! Annie and I traveled over to the Cities to get injera and supplies on Thursday and met up with Ty and Mollie in Hudson. I started cooking that day and then cooked all day Friday. We had 18 people RSVP before I went and got supplies and another 14 RSVP the day before the event. Thankfully, Ty and Mollie were sweet enough to head back over to Shebelle grocery store to get more injera before they came home from River Falls or I would have been in trouble! Everything turned out perfectly and my mom came over to help serve. Each family got their own platter of food with five different Ethiopian dishes to try. Many of the children dressed in their authentic garb and it was so awesome to see them all laughing and playing together.
Happy New Year, Ethiopia! May God bless you again and again! Our hearts are always with you.
Tuesday, September 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment